Why is the sky blue? What is the meaning of life?

Have a question specifically for Doc? Ask it here!

Why is the sky blue? What is the meaning of life?

Postby JAMEStheGREAT3 » April 8th, 2014, 1:43 pm

I mean, if the sky wasn't blue, wouldn't it be a different color? Right?
What is the meaning of life? I think the meaning of life is be worthless shits who play video games.
:lol: :lol:
JAMEStheGREAT3
The Greatest Man on Earth
Future President of America
(Someone pls date me im desperate)
JAMEStheGREAT3

Re: Why is the sky blue? What is the meaning of life?

Postby Phaiz » April 8th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Technically the sky isn't blue. It is also red, orange, yellow, green and a few other colors.
In all this vastness there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby killerlance » April 9th, 2014, 3:43 pm

Why is/was James' name Blue.
Just curious.
Last edited by killerlance on April 13th, 2014, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
[SKVR] KillerLance
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/cloudwolf713
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/killerlance
Battle.NET Profile: killerlance#1171

ImageImage
killerlance
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Doc ONeill » April 12th, 2014, 5:33 pm

the sky is clear
The meaning of life is ______________
Doc ONeill
The Creator
The Creator

Postby Bwainz » April 12th, 2014, 6:24 pm

the meaning of life is video games, sleep, and food.
If you wanna climb a ladder on a water tower
Then we'll kick it with the stars for a couple hours
If you wanna then we're gonna get way up high
If you wanna dip your toes where the water stops
Bwainz
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Camtheham » April 13th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Bwainz wrote:the meaning of life is video games, sleep, and food.

Sounds like I'm living life to the fullest.
I used to think pop rocks were magic
Camtheham
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Blastfamous » December 28th, 2014, 11:40 pm

lol since others have contributed I may join in on the fun.

The sky is blue as a result of light physics which you can research in great detail for your self and be enlightened by the great knowledge of it all. The gist of it is this, the gas composition in the atmosphere filters out the blue hue in the ray of light coming from the sun.

As for the meaning of life, well that is a much more complex question. What Doc was trying to indicate was the good response of "life is what you make it" which of course involves a very deep discussion about choice and personal control over one's life ( a discussion I'm happy to expand on upon request).

When dealing with matters of metaphysics( ethics, philosophy etc) one has to be very careful with the language used. In the classic question of "what is the meaning of life?" there are two main streams of approach 1 The question wants to find out what the point of life is, as in what is the purpose of it to warrant it's existence. 2 The question wants to find out what we should do with the life we have, since in the reality we exist in it is a given we can't escape.

Doc's answer addresses option 2 which is the more practical answer since as mentioned above option 1 will become a waste of time (sort of) as explained below.

To attempt to answer option 1 there has to be a lot of thought given to the origin of our existence and a giant argument of cause and effect and a complex understanding of where we are( as in our universe and the possibility of other universes as well as other strange things like time "frames" and the location of the universe itself).

The reason pondering these questions becomes a waste of time is for the sheer complexity of it and the lack of reach to tangible evidence or means of experimentation, for example if we try to reach the limits of the universe to look beyond it.
Now some of us are built/destined to be the mad scientist like Einstein or Hawking who can AND do explore these wild ideas but MOST of us barely make it out of second year calculus alive let alone handle quantum theory and the works. The other side to this is the life style involved, it is for the most part solitary and exhausting due to the mental work involved but also the physical logistics of it too(not to mention the financial means).

After my travels and having to live in different countries I can tell you this, the basic joys of life are this: good food, good sleep, and good companionship(whether it's friendship,romantic relationship, or family). The best way to live your life is at the end of the day up to you, what ever the ideal life you think you can allow your self to have. Seeing what the wonderful landscapes that nature has to offer along with the way people live their lives all over the world is truly remarkable and having and sharing special moments with other people who accept who you really are and allow you to reach your true potential in all aspects of life is in my opinion much more fulfilling than trying to write down equations that describe the spin of the universe that really only five other people are going to understand.

That said however there is a point to be made that a true genius is able to tackle these questions and still some what have a decent life, so by all means if you are a genius then go ahead and ponder a solution to the big questions.
When in doubt, get BLASTED!

Blastfamous
Donator
Donator

Postby Tombstone Jack » April 13th, 2015, 1:53 am

im pretty sure its a light shade of gray and the other life thing that's about seeing how many dolphins you can uppercut before an episode of Seinfeld is over
Im not a violent person I just do these things out of curiosity.
Tombstone Jack

Postby Doc ONeill » April 13th, 2015, 8:00 am

Blast, I loved your answer!
I think one should ponder life's meaning as you live it.
unfortunately some ponder so deeply that they forget to live their lives.
So what does it matter if you figure out the meaning of life but fail to live it?
Doc ONeill
The Creator
The Creator

Return to Ask the Doctor