My computer knowledge friends I require your help

Any tech talk about PCs

My computer knowledge friends I require your help

Postby Accouter » April 3rd, 2016, 3:50 am

So I was playing The Division and suddenly my computer turns off without giving any kind of warning and it won't turn back on. I press the button and it turns on for like a split second and then it shuts down and nothing happens after I press the power button. My hope was that it just overheated but it's been about 2 hours since it happen.

What could it have been? Because I already fear the worst.
I shall ride eternal shiny and chrome
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Re: My computer knowledge friends I require your help

Postby Clone » April 3rd, 2016, 5:39 am

If it is what I think it is, your power supply died my friend.

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Accouter » April 3rd, 2016, 5:54 am

Yeah I feared that. Does it still count if the LED on the motherboard is still illuminated and the USB's are still giving out power?
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Postby Clone » April 3rd, 2016, 6:18 am

Oh........ Well then I have no idea. There shouldn't be lights on the board if the power supply die.

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Accouter » April 3rd, 2016, 6:37 am

Weird. I did however have 3 power outages while the computer was on like some weeks ago when it was raining that messed with the neighborhoods power. Dunno if that's a factor to it too. I'm probably gonna take everything out and clean it.
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Postby Animus » April 3rd, 2016, 11:15 am

Let me know what happens. :D Also might be best to get TruTech on this, I think he was the Computer Wizard. (Yesh, I called him a Wizard.)
Animus
Skiver
Skiver

Postby TRUTECH » April 3rd, 2016, 11:19 am

Does it POST? This is the little message you get that usually shows your motherboard's logo and stuff. If it doesn't, it could be any number of things... if it does, it will just take some time to test out some options and stuff...

Is it Pre-Built or is it a custom PC? This will also help, if it is pre-built, it would help to know if things are welded in place.
Beware my awkwardness! I am the thread killer.
TRUTECH

Postby hawkesnightmare » April 3rd, 2016, 11:22 am

If you have a spare power supply, replace it and see if it boots. Only other thing I can think of is the processor fried, but your computer would have been making angry beeps if that was the case.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
I only came here because I thought there was pudding.
That's a pretty good reason to go anywhere
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Clone » April 3rd, 2016, 1:16 pm

I was getting there.... It's probably the power supply even tho lights still shows up. If your computer beeps it would be really helpful to know the rythm of the beeps and the computer manufacturer.

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby wllmbr » April 3rd, 2016, 3:00 pm

Former IT person to the rescue!!! (Hopefully)

If you're willing to do some testing of your own, here is what I would recommend you do.

If anything smells like its burning stop any and all testing right away. This likely means your PSU is supplying dangerous levels of power and should be junked immediately. Take it to a place like Best Buy and have them properly recycle it.

First, do the tried and true IT method of fixing 99.9999% of problems. Unplug and replug all major components but don't plug the computer back into the wall outlet, then press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds (so don't disconnect that). Plug the computer back into the wall. If it was a simply case of things having left over charge (which can happen on a sudden kill) it will start back up. If still gives you the same thing, continue reading, if it does something new, jump down a little bit.

If that doesn't work, this might sound incredibly stupid but take out the GPU (if you have one) all of your hard drives and all RAM cards. Press the power button (be sure to plug the PSU back in). If the motherboard, CPU and PSU are all fine your computer should start beeping at you. No beeps mean one of those three are dead.

If you have thermal paste to reapply the heatsink, take the CPU out and just try to power up the motherboard. If it beeps, you have a dead CPU. If it still isn't working, the only way to differentiate the culprit at this stage is to test the components in another machine but be warned, depending on what exactly went wrong with those components the motherboard and PSU are both capable of wrecking another entire computer.

On the off chance that your CPU, PSU, and mobo are all fine, plug your RAM back in. Connect a monitor to the onboard graphics and if you see something coherent come up, then you're sittin rather pretty. Next thing would be to replace the primary hard drive (the one you have your OS installed on). If it boots up, you're one step closer.

Plug in your GPU and connect the monitor back to it. If that works, congrats! If not, your GPU is likely dead :(

Continue this process of plugging things back in one by one and if at any point it stops working, you know then what part is causing failure.

I mentioned up above that if it changes behavior and still doesn't boot normally you should jump down a bit. This is where you are to jump to.

Take note of EVERYTHING your computer does when you press the power button. What lights up, what fans turn on, what beeps, if so what pattern, etc. A lot of times the design engineers built in troubleshooting mechanism for their own purposes and yours. Most times you can do a quick google search to find the problem. The following format should enable you to pick off the most relevant result the quickest

[Brand of computer(or motherboard)] [LED (or Beep)] *insert error code pattern*

Fans aren't that good of a troubleshooting mechanism because most times they're connected straight to the power rails.

I hope this works for you but if it doesn't I (along with everyone else) are gonna need more information on what it is doing/not doing during startup. A lot of it is contextual so every little detail counts.
Just remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down - Adam Savage
wllmbr

Next

Return to Tech talk