My computer knowledge friends I require your help

Any tech talk about PCs

Re: My computer knowledge friends I require your help

Postby hawkesnightmare » April 3rd, 2016, 5:21 pm

Damn that covered just about every possible avenue in one post.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
I only came here because I thought there was pudding.
That's a pretty good reason to go anywhere
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Accouter » April 3rd, 2016, 9:48 pm

Thank you so much everyone that helped. I took everything out, cleaned it thoroughly, unplugged all the cables from the mobo and the psu and reconnected them and held the on button for 30 to flush out the excess like WLLMBR suggested and the computer turned back on again. I'm probably going to get myself extra parts for testing in case it happe a again. Not sure as if I get a message or not when booting because my friends are over watching Wrestlemania and we are in the living room. I will update if I get a booting msg or not.
I shall ride eternal shiny and chrome
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Postby wllmbr » April 3rd, 2016, 10:35 pm

I always love solving problems!

Your computer likely won't have any error messages for you now that its successfully booted up. Most basic systems only have status memory from the last startup attempt, so if you were to restart it now it would just think everything is peachy. There is the possibility however that Windows saw what happened and did some error reporting for you.

If you right click on the start button you can select something called Computer Management which will bring up the Microsoft Management Console. On the left you will see a series of drop down menus and under the path Computer Management (Local) -> System Tools -> Event Viewer will show you a list of all events that Windows has managed to log. It will probably take a long time to fully populate.

If you saw a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) there is a nifty little program called BlueScreenView that will tell you a little bit more about what happened. Don't worry if you don't understand most of it, even I don't know what a lot of the stuff is saying but I do know what is going on with those things.

Hope your computer stays working and if not, you know where to come!
Just remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down - Adam Savage
wllmbr

Postby Accouter » April 4th, 2016, 12:50 am

Welp new problem. I am getting an error. At first I was getting weird letters that started with a A and then two paragraph letters and then it would say Please select bootable media to continue. I tried putting in the win7 cd to try and repair it but it won't because it says "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows".

My second HDD works but its running Linux Ubuntu so its very limited to what I can play so still need to fix my other hdd.
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Postby Accouter » April 4th, 2016, 1:48 am

FALSE ALARM.

Huge mistake on my part that I did not see when putting it back together. I didn't realize that the SATA cable was not properly plugged into the HDD so that's why it wasn't reading it and it was just reading my second HDD. All far so good. Did a quick verification and everything is fine. Thanks again everybody!
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Postby wllmbr » April 4th, 2016, 11:28 am

You know how tv shows and stuff always make fun of IT people always asking if you plugged things in correctly?

This.

This is why.

:lol:
Just remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down - Adam Savage
wllmbr

Postby Accouter » April 4th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Yeah. Always over think things when it can just be a simple cable not plugged in right lol
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Previous

Return to Tech talk