New Keyboard?

Any tech talk about PCs

New Keyboard?

Postby TRUTECH » April 22nd, 2016, 9:59 pm

Hey fellow nerds of Skiver (I mean this in the nicest possible way, it is one of the highest compliments in my book), I was looking for a decent gaming keyboard because I am just using an old crapyy Dell one for the time being.

Specifications:
  • >$70, This is the big one and the rest is pretty much preference.
  • Any type of keyswitches (doesn't have to be mechanical, I prefer the bump that membrane keyboards have though, where you press it and it just falls into place...)
  • I prefer wired, but I don't care.
  • That's it... I don't care about backlighting (though it is cool) or macro keys (I don't have many impressive chat binds) or even the numpad (I only use it for my binds)...

I was thinking of either an entirely new keyboard... or the Logitech G13 gamepad... though I was favoring the keyboard for now because my keyboard is older.

A terrible way to ask for a keyboard? Yes... Sorry if it sounds needy, I just don't want to sound rude when I say that I can't afford a keyboard.
Beware my awkwardness! I am the thread killer.
TRUTECH

Re: New Keyboard?

Postby wllmbr » April 22nd, 2016, 11:15 pm

Um... are you saying that you want to spend at least $70 or at most $70.... I just want to be sure I'm interpreting ">$70" correctly
Just remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down - Adam Savage
wllmbr

Postby Accouter » April 23rd, 2016, 1:41 am

I too am in need for a new keyboard. The inputs are started to delay since I had it since like 2009 and its making me pull my hair out for when I die in Dark Souls 3 because my keyboard didn't press the input I wanted or when an input gets stuck :c
I shall ride eternal shiny and chrome
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Postby TRUTECH » April 23rd, 2016, 7:24 am

Around $70... I thought I messed that up
TRUTECH

Postby Justin » April 23rd, 2016, 9:51 am

If you do not want mechanical switches and do not care about macro keys or backlighting keeping it under $70 is easy. You won't see much performance difference in a $15 and a $60, just a brand name and maybe a bit better quality.
AmazonBasics Wired Keyboard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EOWBHC/re ... gxbHKQ8CPE

Dell Wired Keyboard KB216 (580-ADMT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZYLMQH0/re ... gxb92VKPRN

If you want macros & backlighting, here's a cheap Logitech one:
Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RRLQIO/re ... gxbZ4KRHT4
Need something? Send me a PM here and I will get to it within 48 hours, or add me on Steam and I will get to it eventually - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025232990

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby hawkesnightmare » April 23rd, 2016, 4:26 pm

You can get a mechanical keyboard that has quiet keypresses if you're annoyed by the loud clicking that Razer/s Kaihl Green and Mx Cherry Red switches. Cherry's Brown and Kaihl Orange are quiet but still give you that definite keypress.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
I only came here because I thought there was pudding.
That's a pretty good reason to go anywhere
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby TRUTECH » April 23rd, 2016, 5:00 pm

After actually looking (I did this before but the videos I looked at were outdated and I wanted to hear your guys' keyboard advice) I am thinking of waiting until a sale and getting an Azio MGK1 it seems to have everything I want. If you guys have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

P.S. The keyswitches are Kailh Blue, if that makes a difference...
TRUTECH

Postby hawkesnightmare » April 23rd, 2016, 5:58 pm

According to this guide, Cherry Blues are the second loudest. Kailh blues are just copies of the Cherries. However that click does give you a definite noise and feel that tells you when a keypress was registered, so you don't necessarily have to hit the bottom of the keyboard each time.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
I only came here because I thought there was pudding.
That's a pretty good reason to go anywhere
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Justin » April 24th, 2016, 8:24 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:According to this guide, Cherry Blues are the second loudest. Kailh blues are just copies of the Cherries. However that click does give you a definite noise and feel that tells you when a keypress was registered, so you don't necessarily have to hit the bottom of the keyboard each time.

I have MX Blues and I love them.
Need something? Send me a PM here and I will get to it within 48 hours, or add me on Steam and I will get to it eventually - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025232990

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby TRUTECH » April 24th, 2016, 10:50 am

They seem to be a hit or miss with people, I personally don't care too much about the click because I have headphones on while playing... but, people also say that there is a tactile bump for them, is this like membrane keyboards?
TRUTECH

Next

Return to Tech talk