Computer specs

Any tech talk about PCs

Re: Computer specs

Postby stubby » March 12th, 2015, 1:03 am

I bought the most expensive thing i could care to find, I dont only use it for gaming, i usually have a few virtual machines running.

Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.4Ghz (Turbo 3.4 GHz)
32 GB DDR3
512GB SSD (256GB SSD x 2 RAID) + 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
17.3-inch screen, GeForce GTX 880M 4GB

I also have an AMD desktop I use for linux desktop/server. (Ubuntu, I want to go back to debian)
Dell 1950 Dual Xenon Server used for domain controllers and other virtual machines.
Repurpsoed Acer laptop upgraded with 8GB ram and SSD used for Kali Linux.

My network is a Cisco ASA Firewall, two 3560 48 port switches, some more 2950 switches. 2800 series router. 4255 Intrusion Prevention Device. Cisco Aironet wireless access point.
stubby

Postby wllmbr » February 8th, 2016, 10:52 pm

So glad I found this thread, I love this kind of shit (I'd better being that I'm paying about 22k a year to learn how these damn things work on a theoretical level...)

My main laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad Y510p
Windows 10 Pro
Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.4 GHz (Turbos up to 3.2 if I push it hard enough) Quad-Core, Dual Thread
8GB RAM
onboard GeForce GT750M
Seagate 1TB
Gigabyte Force M9 mouse
Steel Series Siberia v2 Headset

I have a couple craptops that I keep around for when I need a server or something.

This isn't something I'll get around until after I graduate (or even a few years after)
but if I had the money to blow this would be my dream machine at the moment

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4 GHz (Because who wants to wait more than 5 seconds for code to build?)
G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4-2133 (Because why worry about ever accidentally creating a memory leak?)
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Seagate Archive 8TB HDD (Because why ever delete a file?)
x2 Asus Ge-Force GTX-980 Ti 6GB DDR5
x3 Samsung 60Hz 4k 28" Monitors

Full lineup here
Amazingly that rig would only cost under 6000 which if I felt like using everything I make from my summer engineering internships I could easily do it but I kinda want a place to stay and occasionally I do have the urge to eat something soo.......
Just remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down - Adam Savage
wllmbr

Postby TRUTECH » February 9th, 2016, 8:15 am

:lol: Just start like... a budget each year of $1000 into like a jar... in 6 years (or whenever you feel like adding more) you should have about enough
Beware my awkwardness! I am the thread killer.
TRUTECH

Postby Justin » February 9th, 2016, 10:09 am

wllmbr wrote:Full lineup here
Amazingly that rig would only cost under 6000 which if I felt like using everything I make from my summer engineering internships I could easily do it but I kinda want a place to stay and occasionally I do have the urge to eat something soo.......

Drop those speakers and just get a nice pair of Sennheisers and an amp - studio-level audio that you can appreciate without waking the people in the apartment/dorm next door.
Need something? Send me a PM here and I will get to it within 48 hours, or add me on Steam and I will get to it eventually - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025232990

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby hawkesnightmare » February 9th, 2016, 6:46 pm

wllmbr wrote:Seagate Archive 8TB HDD (Because why ever delete a file?)

Those 8TB go away pretty quick when you record a lot of HD video. One of my friends is a film student and he has a really nice camera. He goes through about 2TB a month in storage.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
I only came here because I thought there was pudding.
That's a pretty good reason to go anywhere
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby TRUTECH » February 9th, 2016, 7:30 pm

However, if you are planning on recording video/streaming at all, I would suggest a mic

If you get a Desktop Mic you will need a few things
  • A shock mount
    • This makes it so that if you bump the table, it doesn't effect your audio much
  • A pop filter
    • This is a (generally) circular clip-on type screen, that makes sure that when you mouth is popping and crackling, it isn't noticeable in the audio
      • When you open your mouth close to a mic, you can hear little pop-rocks
  • A Windscreen
    • This is another filter that generally goes on top of the mic itself and prevents breaths from being as audible
  • Makes sure the mic has a high sample rate
    • This basically increases (or decreases) the amount of times per second the mi picks up sound, it helps for editing when you are speeding up, or slowing down sound, or even changing pitch (I think)
  • I would also suggest maybe a boom stand, but that's up to you and stuff
    • It just allows you to position your mic in many more ways
  • Oh, and try to make sure the wall in front of your mic has sound proofing foam, this prevents echoes a little bit.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=

If you are getting a gaming headset just to kinda... talk and stuff, I'd suggest making sure:
  1. The windscreen
  2. And a decent (not too high, you need food) sample rate

[EDIT] Wait... why did I write about mics, we were talking about video... Sorry about that...
Beware my awkwardness! I am the thread killer.
TRUTECH

Postby hawkesnightmare » February 9th, 2016, 9:56 pm

TRUTECH wrote:A pop filter
  • This is a (generally) circular clip-on type screen, that makes sure that when you mouth is popping and crackling, it isn't noticeable in the audio
    • When you open your mouth close to a mic, you can hear little pop-rocks
[*]A Windscreen
  • This is another filter that generally goes on top of the mic itself and prevents breaths from being as audible

If you get a big furry caterpillar for a windsock, you can go without a pop filter, since both of them do the same thing, just in different ways. Except having a giant fuzzy dong on your desk might not look so great.

TRUTECH wrote:Makes sure the mic has a high sample rate[list][*]This basically increases (or decreases) the amount of times per second the mi picks up sound, it helps for editing when you are speeding up, or slowing down sound, or even changing pitch (I think)

yes

As for a headset mic, my Turtle Beach headphones work great for online chatting, both in games and in Mumble/Skype. Though you will want a proper studio mic for high end recording.

TRUTECH wrote:[EDIT] Wait... why did I write about mics, we were talking about video... Sorry about that...

Get a capture card and/or software, hook it up, record to your heart's content. Get something that can do at least 720p, nobody likes being limited to 480p. Boom, done.
I have an Elgato Something-or-other (~$100) that I can hook up to anything that has an HDMI output (which means I can record any console I want if I get a component->HDMI adapter to throw in between, as well as PC footage). I've only recorded about 40min of footage for a WWE2k15 Royal Rumble idea I had that I never got around to finishing.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Clone » April 28th, 2016, 11:23 am

So.... I just bought a new PC

Not the best but good enough for the price I paid....... At least much better than the crappy laptop I'm using (Intel HD 4400.... wow)

Processor Type Intel Core i5-6400 (6th Generation Processor) (6M Cache; up to 3.30 GHz)
Processor Speed 2.7 GHz
Processor Cores 4
RAM 8GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1)
Hard Drive Capacity 1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
Hard Drive Speed (Revolutions Per Minute) 7200 RPM
Optical Drive Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes to DVD/CD)
Pre-loaded Operating System W10H 64 MUI;E/F/S
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 730 2GB GDDR3
Dedicated Graphic Card Yes
Video Memory 2 GB

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby wllmbr » April 28th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Who did you buy it from? Cause in actuality that is one of the better setups I've seen. Like seriously, if you just replaced the graphics card with one a little more powerful (like say this guy) You'll actually have a really good computer. CPU isn't terribly important for gaming, its the GPU that counts. That little i5 will hold you for years to come.
Just remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down - Adam Savage
wllmbr

Postby hawkesnightmare » April 28th, 2016, 3:24 pm

I never did put my specs up on here.

Processor: AMD FX8370 Eight core processor @ 4.0GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 (2x8) RAM
Storage: 1TB HDD 7200 rpm
GPU: GeForce GTX 960 4GB graphics card
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

PreviousNext

Return to Tech talk