Errors, oh joy.

Any tech talk about PCs

Errors, oh joy.

Postby MuffinManV » August 27th, 2016, 11:28 pm

I'm getting an error whenever I try to get on a server.
"An issue with your computer is blocking the VAC system. You cannot play on secure servers."
My computer has had all kinds of weird things happen to it over the years, but it's gotten ridiculous now. Obvious first questions: No, I didn't install any cheating software or anything else today. It was working fine yesterday and the only conflicting program on Steam's list is CCleaner, which I've had for years. I restarted my computer with no effect. I tried repairing the Steam Service (I think I did it right but no guarantees) as well but that didn't work either.

I would be really grateful if someone on here could help me out.
MuffinManV

Re: Errors, oh joy.

Postby TRUTECH » August 27th, 2016, 11:42 pm

I'm assuming that you've seen this article?
Beware my awkwardness! I am the thread killer.
TRUTECH

Postby MuffinManV » August 27th, 2016, 11:44 pm

Yes. I forgot to do the Enable DEP, though.

EDIT: And I can't right now due to me not having the administrative account until a little later tonight.
MuffinManV

Postby Accouter » August 28th, 2016, 5:16 am

Might be time to reformat if you don't know whats going on anymore. I don't know your financial status but I bought a new Win 7 Home Edition for $50 or so dollars on amazon because I didn't have a disc and my friends unofficial version was corrupted and also bought a new hdd along with it so it could be brand new. My ex's hdd has something on it that made VAC think she had some cheating software running which got her VAC'd from CS:GO twice until she finally asked me to reformat her hdd for her.

That's just me.
I shall ride eternal shiny and chrome
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Postby MuffinManV » August 28th, 2016, 3:42 pm

I think the way to go is to upgrade to Windows 10, but I'll lose my local account to make a Microsoft one. :|

EDIT: If, in fact, the problem is unsolvable by traditional means.
MuffinManV

Postby Clone » August 28th, 2016, 3:49 pm

MuffinManV wrote:I think the way to go is to upgrade to Windows 10, but I'll lose my local account to make a Microsoft one. :|

EDIT: If, in fact, the problem is unsolvable by traditional means.

No You can keep local accounts on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. You do not need a microsoft account, but it's highly recommended.

You can also upgrade your local account to a microsoft account just by logging in with your microsoft account.

I don't think I said microsoft account enough.

Microsoft account

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby MuffinManV » August 28th, 2016, 3:50 pm

Another weird thing happened. I tried connecting to a non-VAC secured server and it gave me the same "You cannot play on secure servers" error, even though it wasn't one.
MuffinManV

Postby MuffinManV » August 28th, 2016, 3:58 pm

Clone wrote:You can also upgrade your local account to a microsoft account just by logging in with your microsoft account.

Really? A few months back we (my family) called Microsoft and they said that you can't transfer your account or anything. Did you try it and it worked?
MuffinManV

Postby Clone » August 28th, 2016, 4:09 pm

MuffinManV wrote:
Clone wrote:You can also upgrade your local account to a microsoft account just by logging in with your microsoft account.

Really? A few months back we (my family) called Microsoft and they said that you can't transfer your account or anything. Did you try it and it worked?

Yes......... it's a built in feature and is written in details during the setup phase.

Here's the option in the settings.
account.PNG

Or simply log in in the store and Windows should automatically do it all.

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby MuffinManV » August 28th, 2016, 4:40 pm

Well, it seems yet again that customer service people don't know what the hell they're doing (SOMETIMES).

But thanks for that bit of insight. I didn't think to look it up because I thought I had a solid answer with the phone call.

AND I PROBABLY WOULD'VE GOTTEN IT WHEN IT WAS A FREE UPGRADE INSTEAD OF PAYING $150
MuffinManV

Next

Return to Tech talk