Class Wars Server ads causing massive lengthy ping spikes

You may report server or forum related issues here

Class Wars Server ads causing massive lengthy ping spikes

Postby Dxun » June 3rd, 2017, 3:14 pm

Class Wars server
3 PM Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4)
The ads on the server caused several players (at least four, but I wasn't keeping careful count) to have >300 ping for a lengthy amount of time (I personally had >300 ping for at least four minutes before I left the server). I refuse to disable the HTML mod thing because I want to support the server, but it's bad if I can't play for very long before ads pop up and force me to quit due to massive ping issues.
Dxun
Donator
Donator

Re: Class Wars Server ads causing massive lengthy ping spike

Postby Phaiz » June 3rd, 2017, 10:17 pm

Thanks for reporting this issue. If people will put in the effort the 5 minutes it takes to do this I can use it to show the plugin devs and hopefully expedite a solution.

If you have any other issues or see others mentioning a problem, please direct them here.
In all this vastness there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phaiz » June 4th, 2017, 4:30 am

Would you be able to post a speed test result?
In all this vastness there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dxun » June 7th, 2017, 8:22 pm

I do not have speedtest results, but I did record two videos demonstrating the issue. The lag spikes happen when the ads are scheduled to show up, not just when you die and then are taken to the ad MOTD. Notice how in the first video my lag is suddenly terrible in the life before I die and am presented with the ads. You can tell that I am lagging out not only by my ping, but because my Cloak and Dagger is draining even when I'm not moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKFB5A9a1I

The second video just shows that the lag issues persist even after I die and the ads "play." You can tell that I am still having issues because when I am typing in chat, there are weird breaks in words appearing, then a bunch appear all of a sudden. At the very end of the video, my ping dies down close to what it was before the ads played, though it never fully recovered.
Dxun
Donator
Donator

Postby Phaiz » June 8th, 2017, 5:04 pm

Dxun wrote:I do not have speedtest results, but I did record two videos demonstrating the issue. The lag spikes happen when the ads are scheduled to show up, not just when you die and then are taken to the ad MOTD. Notice how in the first video my lag is suddenly terrible in the life before I die and am presented with the ads. You can tell that I am lagging out not only by my ping, but because my Cloak and Dagger is draining even when I'm not moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evKFB5A9a1I

The second video just shows that the lag issues persist even after I die and the ads "play." You can tell that I am still having issues because when I am typing in chat, there are weird breaks in words appearing, then a bunch appear all of a sudden. At the very end of the video, my ping dies down close to what it was before the ads played, though it never fully recovered.

I've already spoken with the plugin devs about this and they want speed tests to confirm those affected don't just have low end internet. When you get time please run one. I'd suggest using DSL Reports http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest as this test gives more detailed information than others. Once you do that I'll be able to make a case.
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dxun » June 11th, 2017, 4:35 pm

I am not entirely sure why a person's internet speed makes any difference: if an ad causes massive latency for a user where before there was no latency issues, then no matter what their internet speed, the ad is malicious.

Either way, I have some screenshots I took of the dslreports.com/speedtest when I ran them. Uploaded them and put them in an imgur album here: https://imgur.com/a/tW35s
Dxun
Donator
Donator

Postby Phaiz » June 13th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Dxun wrote:I am not entirely sure why a person's internet speed makes any difference: if an ad causes massive latency for a user where before there was no latency issues, then no matter what their internet speed, the ad is malicious.

Either way, I have some screenshots I took of the dslreports.com/speedtest when I ran them. Uploaded them and put them in an imgur album here: https://imgur.com/a/tW35s

Ads are not malicious if they make you lag. I'll forward this on to the plugin devs and await their response but I can already tell you that you have a very slow internet connection.

Just for comparison here's my latest result

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/16807567

Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Clone » June 13th, 2017, 9:50 pm

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Dxun » June 14th, 2017, 7:55 pm

10 Mbps is still fast enough and I never experience lag on other community servers from any source of advertisement. Just because you may live in an area of the country where you have extremely fast speeds available to you for an affordable price does not mean that speeds less than that are too slow for their experience on the server to matter to the advertisers. Thank you for passing this on to the plugin developers, because I am sure they try to minimize the effect that their ads have on players on the server.
Dxun
Donator
Donator

Postby nocdonkey » August 11th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Yes! I was going to post a query about this exact problem, but the problem is also happening on the regular 24/24 DB server too. I suspect the VPP add-on. I can play on Skials 32+ servers w/o issues. I've found VPP add's play even after I disconnect from the server, and sometimes ad's play 2-3 times in a row.

edit : btw, I have a 25 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up connection.. no torrents or other downloading activity ongoing while playing.

2nd edit : From a brief wireshark peak, it seems like the VPP add-on is *constantly* downloading ad's, or doing something else. Tonight I jumped on the DB server tonight for literally 10 seconds, and even after I left and joined another server, the lag was present on the other server for maybe 30 seconds.
nocdonkey

Return to Technical Issues