What Kind Of Music Did You Grow Up With?

Feel like talking? Let's do it here

What Kind Of Music Did You Grow Up With?

Postby Gangsta Luigi » August 3rd, 2016, 5:53 pm

Personally due to a lot of family deaths and my parents divorce at age 4, there was a lot of things that I didnt understand as i got older and it made me angry that I didnt get it but I tended to hide that inside and so for me angry rock music was kind of my answer to that. Specifically Linkin Park, I've really come to love that group to death.

As I continued to grow older I of course understood more and so the reason i listened to that music was less for the anger and more for the sound. I love the way that alternative and hard rock sounds. I also came to love jazz, SOME rap (Fort Minor is my favorite rap group, Eminem is also excellent) and metal, though not anything insanely crazy like death metal. I grew up kind of hating country and i still strongly dislike it. When it comes to pop music i generally also dislike that but a few years back i got into drum and bass.
Add me on Steam HERE: http://steamcommunity.com/id/brendanl
MY BATTLE.NET TAG: Lorhardt#1775

When all you have is a hammer...everyone else is a nail. — Reinhardt Wilhelm

"No, it's cool man - bring your green hat! We're going streaking."
Gangsta Luigi
Skiver
Skiver

Re: What Kind Of Music Did You Grow Up With?

Postby Battle Hardened Fox » August 3rd, 2016, 6:02 pm

I always had a thing for rap when I was younger.
I then got into a huge eminem craze, buying all of his albums

After I got GTA San Andreas and Vice city, I started likening older music, like 80-90s rock, old school rap, and country
Everybody out of my way. I got a hat full of bomb, a hand full of penis, and a head full of empty.
Battle Hardened Fox

Postby crazie » August 3rd, 2016, 6:08 pm

I grew up listening to almost everything. My mom liked oldies up to 80's and most everything in between. My dad was country, including bluegrass, rap, and rock. So my taste in music pretty much extends to all of that and then some.
crazie
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby OttotheAsian » August 3rd, 2016, 6:41 pm

Nothing until middle school. Maybe some pop stuff in grade school cause that was all that was on the airwaves.I didn't really get into music until 7th grade when I started playing cello a little more seriously. I started with my friends music tastes with older rock and some New rock and it's evolved from there since. Now I have an open mind into any music
OttotheAsian

Postby hawkesnightmare » August 3rd, 2016, 6:48 pm

My parents are hardcore Christians and overprotective to the point of smothering. I had no idea that there was anything other than Christian music until I was about 14. Up to that point I was forced to listen to the traditional hymns and worship songs, and on my own I listened to Thousand Food Krutch and later on Skillet. But boy, when I left that Lutheran K-8 school and entered public high school, I exploded. Rob Zombie, Linkin Park, Combichrist (looking back, Combichrist was probably a REALLY bad idea), Metallica. I had a brief stint with Nickelback; I even bought their CD "All the Wrong Reasons". I was just trying to figure out what I liked by trying absolutely everything. Now, I absolutely despise country music and for the most part hate rap, the only exception being ERB. I am also not a fan of bluegrass and only occasionally listen to jazz.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
I only came here because I thought there was pudding.
That's a pretty good reason to go anywhere
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Hatter » August 3rd, 2016, 7:21 pm

Listened to a lot of Led Zeppelin and The Who starting around 3rd or 4th grade and expanded out to more rock from there. Metal in the 80s, grunge in the 90s. Listen to anything from oldies going back to the 50s to current alternative. Like a little old school rap from 80s and 90s, but nothing current. Don't care for country as it all sounds like one song to me as seen here: http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/01/this-video-proves-every-hit-country-song-sounds-the-same/, but will tolerate a few older songs from Johnny Cash and the like.
I woke the same as any other day you know
I should have stayed in bed

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with
All the other pigs

And I learned that I was a liar
Just like you
Hatter
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby Accouter » August 6th, 2016, 8:17 pm

I really didn't listen to music till I got to middle school. The middle school I went to was ghetto so the people I hung out with got me into Rap. Then in high school I discovered metal by going through the music videos section on comcasts ondemand and I discovered Psychosocial by Slipknot and I immediately fell in love with them with how they looked and how it sounded. So a couple months later my old MMA teacher took me and my friend to go see them live and I fell in love with metal from then on. I remember exactly the tour, they were touring for the release of All Hope is Gone and they were touring with Deftones and I remember when they got on stage the whole place went crazy. I completely stopped listening to Rap and only listened to metal and then I started listening to rap again and then discovered dubstep when Skrillex was barely beginning his career. So now I listen to everything but my main genres are Rap, Metal, and Dubstep now.
I shall ride eternal shiny and chrome
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Postby TrollNinja » August 12th, 2016, 6:52 pm

My Dad was into older country music and classic rock, while my Mom was into newer country and pop and that's how i thought my music tastes would stay. Nope. They stayed the same until high school when I hit my pseudo goth phase which i have yet to truly grow out of, and the dark part of my life, my brony phase. My goth side got me into My chemical romance, Green day, Blink 182, and my brony phase got me into dubstep, and electronic; esp Skrillex, and some of the brony electro artists, i still like to listen to here and there. Eventually my gothness led me to some metal music and started my addiction to Alternative/Punk when the phase started in middle school but didn't really take off till mid high school. Eventually my friends got me into the music I'd never thought I'd like, rap (besides Eminem of course) and that really blew up in my face. It started with 21 Pilots and worked its way up. I still only like to listen to a select few artists or songs though but is now my favorite for the time being. Music has taught me a lot of things including never say you dont like a genre until you've listened to quite a few songs of it, because I'm sure that there's a song or 2 that you might like in there. Either that or I'm just the odd man out.

Long story short; I listen to pretty much anything and my tastes swap back and forth constantly. But my main genres at the moment are Rap, Country (new and old), and Alternative/Punk.
I am the TrollNinja who hides in your closets and whispers out words of anarchy

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
Add me here: http://www.steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198049565756
TrollNinja
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Bwainz » May 27th, 2017, 9:48 pm

I grew up on classic rock, and still listen to mainly that, rock, and country, with some modern pop.
If you wanna climb a ladder on a water tower
Then we'll kick it with the stars for a couple hours
If you wanna then we're gonna get way up high
If you wanna dip your toes where the water stops
Bwainz
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby LennyLegend800 » July 2nd, 2017, 4:09 pm

Growing up, usually it was just Linkin Park or Fall Out Boy because my dad and mom liked it, my sisters still love Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco. Me personally nowadays just listen to Metal or some Christian Worship. I know, it's a really weird mix but I tend to listen to Christian worship because I am an usher at my church, so it's pretty much normal for me at this point. Metal is not usually on occasion, but I do love Five Finger Death Punch, specifically Wash it all Away and Wrong Side of Heaven. I also enjoyed Rock and some electronic, still do with a little electronic (Especially if its Electro Swing).

Im a Christian AND listen to Metal, let me repeat that.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) LennyLegend800 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"Being a Leader does not define control, but the willing to serve and move the team from one point to another. The rank of a leader does not confer privilege or power, but imposes responsibility."

"( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"~An inspiring quote by someone who probably uses it very often

LennyLegend800

Return to General Discussion