One small step for man, One huge day for me.

The inner thoughts of Doc O'Neill

One small step for man, One huge day for me.

Postby Doc ONeill » April 27th, 2015, 8:50 pm

My daughter is doing a school project and in it it calls for a parents memory of the space race.
I thought I'd share it with all of you.

In 1969 I was 7 years old, hated my name (Neil) and my father spent a lot of time away from home. My father was the quality control engineer for the Apollo project, he was in charge of making sure that companies like General Electric were making the parts to the specifications that N.A.S.A. demanded. I had started to become aware of the reasons that America was so bent on getting to the moon as fast as possible. In school we were told it was a fight for our way of life, for liberty and freedom as opposed to oppression and totalitarianism. I just wanted my father to be home more. OK, so we were in this race and my father was a big part of it but I was more interested in my G.I. Joe’s than some esoteric philosophical fight. then the time came and we all gathered around the old black and white t.v. My father was telling us that the landing itself was nearly impossible as the computers crashed and they had to land the Eagle manually. He said that the chances of it being successful was the same as driving a Cadillac convertible around a track at sixty miles an hour while shooting a 22 caliber rifle into the air and having the bullet land in a coffee cup in the middle of the field. Walter Cronkite was explaining just how huge the historical meaning of the events we were watching were. And then the door opened on the Lunar lander and Neil Armstrong stepped out climbed clumsily down the ladder and said "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." And stepped onto the moon! All at once I felt patriotic, proud of my father and thought my name was the coolest name ever!
Doc ONeill
The Creator
The Creator

Return to Doc O'Neill's Journal