A certain hacking program has been detected by VAC

TF2 related discussion

Re: A certain hacking program has been detected by VAC

Postby Justin » April 30th, 2016, 7:20 am

Phaiz wrote:This is a good thing but it only means so much. The VAC system is often slow and takes a long time before it will ban a player. Just because VAC can detect it now does not mean its unusable or that we will never see it again. What this does mean is that anyone dumb enough to still use it (and probably anything else derived from the source) will get caught, even if it isn't by one of our admins.

I wonder if we will see someone add a SMAC patch for the new info since the premium version can now be downloaded by anyone.

Valve servers will be safer than they were, but VAC bans are on a delay so players might get away with it for a week or two.
Need something? Send me a PM here and I will get to it within 48 hours, or add me on Steam and I will get to it eventually - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025232990

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby TRUTECH » April 30th, 2016, 8:06 am

Well regardless, it's still a big step in the right direction
Beware my awkwardness! I am the thread killer.
TRUTECH

Postby Link7609 » April 30th, 2016, 11:57 am

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/http://prntscr.com/ayilru
A mod on the hacking site claimes that the creators account was hacked and thr source code was full of malware, also claims that development will continue
Link7609

Postby Notso Penguin » April 30th, 2016, 4:35 pm

This will probably just deter people from hacking in competitive. It teaches them that they can be caught. People were too confident in their hacks being undetected. (For some reason way to many people believed that this hack could not be detected...)

People who hack in pubs will just use alt accounts or use other hacks. There are other public undetected cheats. Also there are many private cheats that are never released to the public and they will probably never be detected.
Notso Penguin
Developer
Developer

Postby Justin » April 30th, 2016, 5:29 pm

Now that VAC can detect the premium version it would need a big patch to become 'VAC-proof' again, that is if the devs are not just doing damage control and the development is continued.

As Notso said, this is just the biggest of the hacking programs that we know of - we will still see hackers, just less of them.
Need something? Send me a PM here and I will get to it within 48 hours, or add me on Steam and I will get to it eventually - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025232990

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby hydreigonxyz » May 1st, 2016, 3:00 pm

Its rather unfortunate to see that alot of these hackers were in ugc
Not to mention each of the snipers of the winners in plat gold and silver were lmaobox users

Its kinda surprising to see since I recognize a good amount of these players from pugs or through actual matches
(That explains alot of teams recently that were "sniper oriented")
I did some digging myself and it looks like only recent users have been hit for the most part
Those who've been using it for two years apparently are not yet detected although I'm not entirely sure this is true

Anyways its good to see valve's been stepping up lately this week with community related updates and patches =)
hydreigonxyz
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby Phaiz » May 1st, 2016, 3:54 pm

Valve kinda has to beat hacks since comp is so popular. If the hacking is rampant enough, people will just play comp on a different game which ultimately leads to less cash and publicity for Valve. Plus if you look at some of the steam profiles of those caught hacking, a few have TF2 inventories alone worth close to $1,000.
In all this vastness there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Notso Penguin » May 1st, 2016, 5:01 pm

Somebody with a backpack of $20,000 was vac banned. Even lost a burning flames team captain.
Notso Penguin
Developer
Developer

Postby Justin » May 1st, 2016, 5:56 pm

I have heard a tale of a golden pan being lost as well, but have not confirmed it.

It'll take time for this cheat to build itself back up due to a loss of face and the coding set-back since they'll have to find out experimentally what part Valve was catching.

With the amount of hackers in MM, Valve was really needing to make some progress on the anti-cheat front, and this looks like it might be helping immensely.

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby TRUTECH » July 6th, 2016, 4:50 pm

Small update, seems that some still use the program and development will continue. However, seeing as the VAC team purchased the cheat, it will be a bit difficult to get away from that.

Beware my awkwardness! I am the thread killer.
TRUTECH

PreviousNext

Return to Hat Simulator 2