The Future of Fortress

TF2 related discussion

The Future of Fortress

Postby Gangsta Luigi » June 16th, 2016, 5:24 pm

Honestly you guys, I think TF2 is fucked.

It's been a great near-decade, but outside of the clans such as our own and FirePowered, etc, I don't think this game is ever going to be truly popular again. Here's why:

Updates are extremely shitty. I can't think of a single update since the last one for MvM that was cool at all. Gun Mettle and Tough Break are stupid as hell. Instead of adding new things to the game like modes or weapons they're trying to bring the CS:GO skin market mentality over to TF2 with these cosmetic cases and skins.

Little to no blogs or news updates. The last post on teamfortress.com was made in February and it was just a reminder to participate in Tough Break. Valve used to update that blog on a monthly, even WEEKLY basis. We have no idea what's going on or what's coming other than the Matchmaking.

Unnecessary weapon changes that make NO sense. Things like nerfing the Degreaser, buffing the Phlog, making Sentries have a full second of being disabled after a Sapper is removed, making the Cladiemh Mor give you health instead of giving you a longer charge time...why? There's no need for like 80% of the changes done over the course of Gun Mettle and Tough Break. All of the weapons were fine, instead of creating they waste time by tweaking things that don't need to be and the community's reaction should have told them they should remove the changes.

This is just my opinion of course but I think this game is done for. The only way it'll survive is if Valve bothers to give a shit, and in my opinion they haven't done that since Halloween 2013.
Add me on Steam HERE: http://steamcommunity.com/id/brendanl
MY BATTLE.NET TAG: LorTarkam#1868

Ryūjin no ken wo kūrae!
Ryuu-ga, Wa-ga-te-ki-wo, Ku-ra-u!

"No, it's cool man - bring your green hat! We're going streaking."
Gangsta Luigi
Skiver
Skiver

Re: The Future of Fortress

Postby hawkesnightmare » June 16th, 2016, 5:57 pm

While developer investment has decreased slightly, TF2 is far from dead, and definitely won't be dying for quite a while. TF2 is almost permanently locked into the position of third most played game at any given time, and is the second most downloaded game of all time. While the last two updates haven't added anything astounding, that's okay. The entire point of the Gun Mettle and Tough Break updates were to boost playercount by introducing contracts and weapon skins while simultaneously introducing a whole new set of items into the market. CS:GO's skin industry is absolutely enormous and adding skins to TF2 both gives players something else to do and bridges the gap between the two games for an easier transition for players of either one to try out the other. Also there was this thread that I'm not sure if anything is coming of it. As far as I'm concerned, TF2 is just fine.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
I only came here because I thought there was pudding.
That's a pretty good reason to go anywhere
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Gangsta Luigi » June 16th, 2016, 6:03 pm

I think "slightly" is understating it, but I see your point otherwise.

Ryūjin no ken wo kūrae!

Gangsta Luigi
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Clone » June 16th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Gangsta Luigi wrote:Little to no blogs or news updates. The last post on teamfortress.com was made in February and it was just a reminder to participate in Tough Break. Valve used to update that blog on a monthly, even WEEKLY basis. We have no idea what's going on or what's coming other than the Matchmaking.

They have been updating the blog all the time.....
http://www.teamfortress.com/?tab=news

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Gangsta Luigi » June 16th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Must have missed it. Hasn't popped up on the home page.

This gives me hope.

Ryūjin no ken wo kūrae!

Gangsta Luigi
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Justin » June 17th, 2016, 12:22 am

We're also likely to see an update within the next two weeks (most likely next Thursday with the beginning of the Steam Sale) given update history and that about a week ago Jill (one of the tf2 developers) said the will be neato.
Need something? Send me a PM here and I will get to it within 48 hours, or add me on Steam and I will get to it eventually - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025232990

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Socrates » June 18th, 2016, 3:32 am

Tf2 needs something that will make it more appealing to potential players and being f2p inst one of those things
playing overwatch actually made me feel like tf2 needs major changes and orientation that arent cosmetics (skins, hats)
Sure tf2 is steams 3rd most played game ..but what does that really mean.
Being f2p is a major cause for this and like ive said before being a f2p game attracts the most peculiar of people.
Just look at the condition of valve servers , theres a huge population of underage and low quality players, as well as a huge honey pot for hackers,
and we have people who come into the game with a cosmetics>gameplay mindset.
whats the benifit of being f2p if your a large portion of your player base are people like
ruski highpingski34 and inospikenglisho.brazil89.
and what do we get?
well more hats !___----
valve already said a source 2 port is out of the question
matchmaking is not really speaking to the fanbase ( its to late )
gamemodes stuck in beta
badly optimized melee and hitscan
rampant hacking
no support for custom map servers

If things continue like this Tf2 wont really die , but its player base will be reduced to purely f2p and then valve will not be making money from them
Socrates
Donator
Donator

Return to Hat Simulator 2