TF2 Etiquette/Unwritten rules

TF2 related discussion

TF2 Etiquette/Unwritten rules

Postby Hatter » January 21st, 2015, 7:06 pm

Etiquette: a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class, or group.

In baseball, there are many "unwritten" rules. These are actions not covered in the official rule book and not enforced by umpires, rather by the players themselves. Example: do not sit at the plate and watch your home run go over the fence, you should put your head down and quietly run the bases. If you do stand and watch, you can expect to be hit by a pitch in your next at-bat.

I played tf2 in the early days, then after a absence of 5-6 years, I returned this past fall. I came back to a much different game. On another server back in the fall I was berated for attacking a "friendly heavy". Just a few days ago, it was pointed out in chat that it was rude to cap a point when someone had am active killstreak over 5. I don't remember any "friendly heavies" and killstreak weapons were not even a thing yet when I first played. It got me thinking that maybe I am doing other things that are rude or frowned upon.

We are all here for fun, and I'd rather not be taking the fun out of others' games if it can be avoided. So I ask, what are the unwritten rules of tf2 that I (or others who are new) are breaking or may not be aware of?
I woke the same as any other day you know
I should have stayed in bed

The day I tried to live
I wallowed in the blood and mud with
All the other pigs

And I learned that I was a liar
Just like you
Hatter
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Re: TF2 Etiquette/Unwritten rules

Postby SleepingBear » January 21st, 2015, 7:56 pm

no i think not because that is (sorry for my language) fucking stupid. The point of TF2 is (was) to have fun. See a friendly heavy? Who cares why the hell are they wasting their time doing something stupid like that? I personally think that if there are unwritten rules of TF2 they should be gone immideatly since I believe a video game should not have those because that would lose the point of playing. Sorry if it makes no sense but all the ridiculous and retarded shit in TF2 is getting annoying
SleepingBear

Postby Alice in Pyroland » January 21st, 2015, 9:41 pm

On skivers servers we don't care about who is friendly or not. Actually if someone is friendly or just taunting on a full server, he or she can be kicked out of the servers. In the other hand the thing with the killstreak that its just not important, probably the person who said that was kidding or being sarcastic and if he or she was not, well in my opinion is just not something to pay attention to.
On skivers servers we have the no backcapping rule, I think that is the only rare rules out there, that maybe you would like to know
Alice in Pyroland

Postby Johnny Wise » January 22nd, 2015, 12:42 am

I should point out that the no-backcapping rule only applies to Attack Defend maps, not Control Points, since it is a valid strategy on 5cp maps, and just a dick move on maps like Dustbowl, Egypt, etc.
Johnny Wise

Postby Justin » January 22nd, 2015, 11:08 am

If someone is doing a taunt kill let them (unless it is AnonyNoob or Wise).

Additionally: if you have the Taunt: Schadenfreude, use it while the person is getting that taunt kill.
Need something? Send me a PM here and I will get to it within 48 hours, or add me on Steam and I will get to it eventually - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025232990

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Johnny Wise » January 22nd, 2015, 11:29 am

But I need 1000 taunt kills on my Huntsman. I only have 230 :(. Anony though, don't ever let him do taunt kills :P
Johnny Wise

Postby crazie » January 22nd, 2015, 11:59 am

I think every server may have unwritten rules/suggestions. For instance on skiver we have Doc's "modified melee" when it's 6v6. It is not an official rule but we try to do it when we can. Always check the rules on any server you play on and just try to enjoy yourself. And keep in mind it's the internet and people are going to act like they are in charge but that doesn't mean they are. They may like friendly players and get upset when someone kills them so they feel the need to berate the person who was just trying to play the game. Skivers rules are written.. if you are unsure feel free to ask an admin. :)
crazie
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby AnonyNoob » January 22nd, 2015, 2:35 pm

Just1nus wrote:If someone is doing a taunt kill let them (unless it is AnonyNoob or Wise).

Johnny Wise wrote:But I need 1000 taunt kills on my Huntsman. I only have 230 :(. Anony though, don't ever let him do taunt kills :P

I'd say "you guys are just mad because x" in a joking fashion, but I honestly have no idea where this came from. I don't even try to tauntkill that often ._.
Life of an engineer.

AnonyNoob
Skiver
Skiver

Return to Hat Simulator 2