Big changes are a-comin'

Skiver news and general information

Big changes are a-comin'

Postby Phaiz » July 10th, 2016, 1:59 am

This week Valve has changed how TF2 players are sent to all servers. The Valve servers you once knew are now all gone and have been replaced by "Competitive" and "Casual" game mode servers. If one of these two options isn't what you're looking for, you have to open the server browser and find one yourself. So long as they keep these changes, you will -never- join a non Valve server without using the server browser or connecting from outside of the game.

These changes can be summed up in four words - quick play is gone.

Depending on how you look at this, you can see good or bad news for community servers such as ours. Skiver has always been "somewhat" (roughly 15% of traffic) reliant upon quick play traffic as those random connections will often fill in the slots not taken by our regulars.

The bad news side of this is that server owners can EASILY abuse their players and once again offer game breaking advantages to anyone willing to pay to win. Valve has always tried to be "for the player" rather than "for the servers" and has worked hard over the years to give players an advantage over shady servers with the famous quick play rules and guidelines. A good example of this would be the advert plugin Pinion. Years ago they were the only company/plugin who offered a way for server owners to cut down on cost and needing to rely on donors, thus allowing for rapid growth. Using Pinion meant any player who wasn't flagged as "special" was forced to watch and listen to the MOTD screen for 30 seconds each time they were due to see an ad.

--

This update changes a major part of TF2 and we must change with it or we will become yet another failed community. I am not going to let that happen. The changes I am about to announce are going to upset some people and hopefully make a lot people happy and excited.

Server Cuts:

- The Day of Defeat server is being cut. It gets a very small amount of traffic once or twice a week. Perhaps in the future we can attempt being a multi-gameserver community again.

Server Map Changes:

- Orange will be changing back to a more popular and recognized Orange map. I always wanted Skiver to have a server with our very own map, unfortunately it just doesn't make sense anymore to run a map with an average of 4 players.

- Class Wars #2 is being changed to a 24/7 Payload server. I am leaning towards either Goldrush or Thunder Mountain. We may attempt a 2nd Classwars server again in the future with something other than rotation.

Server Addition:

- We will be adding a custom game mode rotation server once I get all of the technicalities figured out. I am leaning towards Prop Hunt and FF or VSH. I am open to suggestions for this one.

--

The server cuts and map changes will be effective/live with the upcoming daily restart. The custom rotation server will not be live for some time.
In all this vastness there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Big changes are a-comin'

Postby advil junkie » July 10th, 2016, 2:04 am

Nice! Thanks for the notice.
advil junkie

Postby DoggsUI » July 10th, 2016, 2:07 am

Rip Orange.

(?)
Maj. T.J. 'King' Kong
DoggsUI
Donator
Donator

Postby Johnny Wise » July 10th, 2016, 2:09 am

Phaiz wrote:Orange will be changing back to a more popular and recognized map.

Hightower.
Hightower.
HIGHTOWER!!!!!!!!!
Johnny Wise

Postby Kermie Sanders » July 10th, 2016, 2:11 am

Sweet, what do you think of a saxton hale server eventually?
Kermie Sanders

Postby Phaiz » July 10th, 2016, 2:13 am

Johnny Wise wrote:
Phaiz wrote:Orange will be changing back to a more popular and recognized map.

Hightower.
Hightower.
HIGHTOWER!!!!!!!!!

Hightower is fun but it isn't enough to dedicate an entire server to it, plus I meant a more popular orange map.
In all this vastness there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Phaiz » July 10th, 2016, 2:14 am

DoggsUI wrote:Rip Orange.

(?)

No, it's just going to be a different Orange map.
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny Wise » July 10th, 2016, 2:14 am

Give me homing reflects and we're golden.
Johnny Wise

Postby Accouter » July 10th, 2016, 6:03 am

That is great news! Thought CW#2 was bugged when I saw a map I haven't seen before on the map info.

Will admins be having more server commands on the custom server?
I shall ride eternal shiny and chrome
Accouter
Donator
Donator

Postby Gangsta Luigi » July 10th, 2016, 9:03 am

Yay my idea for a custom game mode server came to fruition! I really like these changes.
Add me on Steam HERE: http://steamcommunity.com/id/brendanl
MY BATTLE.NET TAG: LorTarkam#1868

Ryūjin no ken wo kūrae!
Ryuu-ga, Wa-ga-te-ki-wo, Ku-ra-u!

"No, it's cool man - bring your green hat! We're going streaking."
Gangsta Luigi
Skiver
Skiver

Next

Return to News