Big changes are a-comin'

Skiver news and general information

Re: Big changes are a-comin'

Postby Phaiz » July 10th, 2016, 10:53 am

Accouter wrote:That is great news! Thought CW#2 was bugged when I saw a map I haven't seen before on the map info.

Will admins be having more server commands on the custom server?

I haven't done more than play on either of those game modes a handful of times several years ago. It will likely be a learning experience for all of us once it starts.
Some search never finding a way, before long they waste away.
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby TRUTECH » July 10th, 2016, 11:51 am

Welp. I think that we will get a bit of traffic from people in the server browser not wanting to be treated like low-priority garbage, but, we will see.

I am happy with the Class Wars #2 change, but I think Dolan hung around there a lot and seeded it.
Beware my awkwardness! I am the thread killer.
TRUTECH

Postby Phaiz » July 10th, 2016, 12:14 pm

TRUTECH wrote:Welp. I think that we will get a bit of traffic from people in the server browser not wanting to be treated like low-priority garbage, but, we will see.

I am happy with the Class Wars #2 change, but I think Dolan hung around there a lot and seeded it.

http://puu.sh/pWTFd/15ada7c0c9.png

The server was getting no where near the amount of traffic we would need to keep it.
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gangsta Luigi » July 10th, 2016, 12:22 pm

For the custom rotation I think PropHunt and FF/VSH are good choices. Do you want more modes? If so I recommend TF2Ware, Dodgeball or Deathrun.
Add me on Steam HERE: http://steamcommunity.com/id/brendanl
MY BATTLE.NET TAG: Lorhardt#1775

When all you have is a hammer...everyone else is a nail. — Reinhardt Wilhelm

"No, it's cool man - bring your green hat! We're going streaking."
Gangsta Luigi
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Animus » July 10th, 2016, 12:55 pm

:O I hope these changes work. And to be honest, I'm good with any Custom Gamemode. =w= I've played *most* of them, mainly FF, VSH, TF2ware, Randomizer, Slender Fortress and x10. But FF and/or VSH seem to be the most popular. However, interesting note is that TF2ware is mostly dead, so we *may* be able to do what we did with Class Wars and take it for ourselves. The downside is it's super questionable if it will hold it's own weight.
Animus
Skiver
Skiver

Postby DoggsUI » July 10th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Phaiz wrote:
DoggsUI wrote:Rip Orange.

(?)

No, it's just going to be a different Orange map.

Aight
Maj. T.J. 'King' Kong
DoggsUI
Donator
Donator

Postby Quinn » July 10th, 2016, 1:58 pm

Yes, a Freak Fortress server would be awesome!
Quinn

Postby Johnny Wise » July 10th, 2016, 2:39 pm

So would a TF2 Smash server.
Johnny Wise

Postby Phaiz » July 10th, 2016, 2:44 pm

I'm only going to run two game modes per custom server. Each mode requires its own specific plugin(s), maps, textures, models, etc. Hosting more than two per server would force many large downloads and also has a high probability of causing server crashes or just out right broken plugins. It is also possible that two plugins may not work together as some of them are only enabled on maps designed specifically for that plugin. If for some reason more than one plugin activates because both recognize the map... there will be problems.

I won't be doing any testing until tomorrow, however once everything is figured out I will host server specific packs for anyone to download prior to joining the server, this/these packs will include everything needed (such as all of the maps) to play on the server so that long wait times can be avoided when connecting or changing maps.
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gangsta Luigi » July 10th, 2016, 3:16 pm

Phaiz wrote:I'm only going to run two game modes per custom server. Each mode requires its own specific plugin(s), maps, textures, models, etc. Hosting more than two per server would force many large downloads and also has a high probability of causing server crashes or just out right broken plugins. It is also possible that two plugins may not work together as some of them are only enabled on maps designed specifically for that plugin. If for some reason more than one plugin activates because both recognize the map... there will be problems.

I won't be doing any testing until tomorrow, however once everything is figured out I will host server specific packs for anyone to download prior to joining the server, this/these packs will include everything needed (such as all of the maps) to play on the server so that long wait times can be avoided when connecting or changing maps.

I know that VSH and PropHunt both are designed to work with vanilla maps...maybe having both modes together is a bad idea.

Dodgeball could work as it only works with custom maps. You could have VSH working with vanilla/custom specific VSH and then DB with its own specific DB maps.
Add me on Steam HERE: http://steamcommunity.com/id/brendanl
MY BATTLE.NET TAG: Lorhardt#1775

When all you have is a hammer...everyone else is a nail. — Reinhardt Wilhelm

"No, it's cool man - bring your green hat! We're going streaking."
Gangsta Luigi
Skiver
Skiver

PreviousNext

Return to News