Upcoming downtime early tomorrow morning (7-16-16)

Skiver news and general information

Upcoming downtime early tomorrow morning (7-16-16)

Postby Phaiz » July 15th, 2016, 11:13 pm

The server host will be performing scheduled maintenance beginning at 1am CST. Normally I wouldn't inform everyone about this as it is typically trivial, however the host will be moving us off of our current machine onto a newer machine as the one we are on is nearing the end of its' life. This may be a confirmation of the performance drop I and others have seen over the past few months.

They are estimating the entire process to take around 8 hours for all of their customers but I have not been given an exact time for when our servers will be moved. During this time all game servers and web pages will be offline.

Starting at approximately 1am CDT on July 16, we plan to begin moving all customers off of the machine hosting your server, to other machines at the same location. We are doing this in order to decommission this old machine, which is nearing the end of its useful life because it is no longer acceptably fast or power-efficient.

We expect the process to take at least 8 hours, as we move the servers one by one.
In all this vastness there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Upcoming downtime early tomorrow morning (7-16-16)

Postby hawkesnightmare » July 15th, 2016, 11:49 pm

Hate to be the guy running that job. Eight hours of some of the most tedious work.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
I only came here because I thought there was pudding.
That's a pretty good reason to go anywhere
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Clone » July 16th, 2016, 1:00 am

hawkesnightmare wrote:Hate to be the guy running that job. Eight hours of some of the most tedious work.

I love doing that kind of job :P

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Justin » July 16th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Phaiz wrote: This may be a confirmation of the performance drop I and others have seen over the past few months.

That makes a lot of sense and is something I never would have thought about. Hopefully we see some improvements.
Need something? Send me a PM here and I will get to it within 48 hours, or add me on Steam and I will get to it eventually - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025232990

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby Phaiz » July 16th, 2016, 2:48 pm

The web server was moved a few hours ago. I do not have any confirmation of the game servers being moved yet and I also have not seen any downtime for them aside from the daily restart. It is very possible that they have not been moved yet. If this is the case, they will come back online automatically after the move takes place.
In all this vastness there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves
Phaiz
Administrator
Administrator

Return to News