The Expansion and Future of Skiver

Other games played by our members can be discussed here

Do you want a SKVR Battlefield 1 server?

Poll ended at May 29th, 2016, 12:00 pm

No :(
46%
Yes :)
54%
[Option Removed by Admin]
No votes

Total votes : 13

The Expansion and Future of Skiver

Postby JAMEStheGREAT3 » May 22nd, 2016, 12:00 pm

Skiver is a community we all know and love. Almost all of you are dedicated members and would love to see this community expand into other games. I propose that we should have a Battlefield 1 server when the game comes out.

Why should we expand?
-To find new Skivers who do not play TF2 and expand our player base
-To extend the lifespan of the SKVR community
-To bring back older members who have grown tired of TF2
-To branch out into other game distribution clients (Origin)
-Expansion is healthy for any type of business

Why Battlefield 1?
-One of the few major games coming out with dedicated servers
-Huge hype behind the game
-AAA title
-1.6 million likes on YouTube
-Older Battlefield games still have servers that are alive and well many years after newer Battlefield games come out, and Battlefield 1 should be no different

What if I don't know anything about Battlefield?
-It's an objective based FPS
-Has a strong focus on vehicular combat (land, naval, and aerial)
-“Levelution” (mass destruction of buildings and infrastructure in the map)
-Has team deathmatch, capture the flag, and objective assault game modes, among others

Who will staff this server?
-Myself and UGA_360 would be happy to admin the server and recruit new mods
-As more people find the server, more people will want to be staff and/or donate

The expansion of the SKVR community is necessary to expand our player base and extend the life of the community. Battlefield 1, an upcoming AAA first-person shooter, is the perfect choice to make a server because it is one of the few games coming out that will have dedicated servers and a large fan base. As stated above, UGA_360 and myself have played other Battlefield games and are willing to staff the server and recruit new mods.

I hope you rally behind me for a better and brighter future for Skiver.
Last edited by JAMEStheGREAT3 on May 22nd, 2016, 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAMEStheGREAT3
The Greatest Man on Earth
Future President of America
(Someone pls date me im desperate)
JAMEStheGREAT3

Re: The Expansion and Future of Skiver

Postby JAMEStheGREAT3 » May 22nd, 2016, 12:06 pm

For clarification, Battlefield 1 is the one coming out in October, not the original Battlefield game
JAMEStheGREAT3
JAMEStheGREAT3

Postby Gangsta Luigi » May 22nd, 2016, 12:16 pm

To be completely honest with you, I can't see this working well. Skiver is focused around casually playing with friends on a game (TF2) that offers several ways to play for both serious and goofy players. Battlefield is a game that promotes taking the game very seriously, and makes the objectives extremely focused on. Not to mention that Battlefield is EA based and would likely require everyone to make EA accounts and Origin accounts (correct me if I'm wrong but there hasn't been a BF game since Bad Company 2 on Steam). That's way too much effort just for an alternative Skiver hangout server. Not to mention that the game costs $60.

Skiver has around 300 strong. I think that's a great number. Growth isn't always the thing we should focus on in my opinion - there's nothing wrong with being a tightly-knit TF2 community.

So I'm sorry, but I'm gonna give this one a no.

Note to an admin: This seems like something that should be in Server Suggestions. Maybe the thread should be moved?
Add me on Steam HERE: http://steamcommunity.com/id/brendanl
MY BATTLE.NET TAG: LorTarkam#1868

Ryūjin no ken wo kūrae!
Ryuu-ga, Wa-ga-te-ki-wo, Ku-ra-u!

"No, it's cool man - bring your green hat! We're going streaking."
Gangsta Luigi
Skiver
Skiver

Postby JAMEStheGREAT3 » May 22nd, 2016, 12:21 pm

Gangsta Luigi wrote:To be completely honest with you, I can't see this working well. Skiver is focused around casually playing with friends on a game (TF2) that offers several ways to play for both serious and goofy players. Battlefield is a game that promotes taking the game very seriously, and makes the objectives extremely focused on. Not to mention that Battlefield is EA based and would likely require everyone to make EA accounts and Origin accounts (correct me if I'm wrong but there hasn't been a BF game since Bad Company 2 on Steam). That's way too much effort just for an alternative Skiver hangout server. Not to mention that the game costs $60.

Skiver has around 300 strong. I think that's a great number. Growth isn't always the thing we should focus on in my opinion - there's nothing wrong with being a tightly-knit TF2 community.

Thank you for your response
JAMEStheGREAT3
JAMEStheGREAT3

Postby Gangsta Luigi » May 22nd, 2016, 12:26 pm

JAMEStheGREAT3 wrote:
Gangsta Luigi wrote:To be completely honest with you, I can't see this working well. Skiver is focused around casually playing with friends on a game (TF2) that offers several ways to play for both serious and goofy players. Battlefield is a game that promotes taking the game very seriously, and makes the objectives extremely focused on. Not to mention that Battlefield is EA based and would likely require everyone to make EA accounts and Origin accounts (correct me if I'm wrong but there hasn't been a BF game since Bad Company 2 on Steam). That's way too much effort just for an alternative Skiver hangout server. Not to mention that the game costs $60.

Thank you for your response

You may find more success in suggesting a CS:GO server. I know several of our members play it alongside TF2 regularly.
Add me on Steam HERE: http://steamcommunity.com/id/brendanl
MY BATTLE.NET TAG: LorTarkam#1868

Ryūjin no ken wo kūrae!
Ryuu-ga, Wa-ga-te-ki-wo, Ku-ra-u!

"No, it's cool man - bring your green hat! We're going streaking."
Gangsta Luigi
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Animus » May 22nd, 2016, 1:56 pm

Well, directly, I'd LIKE to see Skiver host a BF1 server. However, there's a lot of factors going against that that will likely make it a bad idea or cause more harm than good. As Luigi said, it's more serious, and switched from Valve to EA is pretty much an entirely different process (I'm assuming). Then there's trying to stick out from the crowd. So far, Skiver owns the only (Well-functioning) Class Wars server in TF2. In BF1, it's going to be pretty hard to stand out from the thousands of other servers hosting the same gamemode and map. I could go on, but meh. Generally, (I voted yes, as the question asked would you like to see one) it'll cause more problems then it's worth in my opinion, but it would be neat to have one.
Animus
Skiver
Skiver

Postby clulessgamer » May 22nd, 2016, 7:23 pm

When I hear Skiver I think steam and not Origin and all that. Not that I hate Origin or anything, I have Titanfall and I am hyped for Titanfall 2 but Origin has kinda a finicky friends list and no options for groups. This may deter some people as when they see a group of people with the same prefix on their name or seem to know each other. They would have no direct access to the group unless they come to here, even then Skiver has a big anchor in TF2, a game that not everybody enjoys. This can make them feel left out or even scared to ask to join.
Want to play?http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198064704196
Want to chat? Discord - Cluelessgaming
clulessgamer

Return to Other Games