Computer specs

Any tech talk about PCs

Re: Computer specs

Postby hawkesnightmare » April 29th, 2016, 7:50 pm

I absolutely despise Dell. Their products are shitty and never last. HP is my go-to for recommending computers, Toshiba for laptops.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
I only came here because I thought there was pudding.
That's a pretty good reason to go anywhere
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby Justin » April 29th, 2016, 8:53 pm

hawkesnightmare wrote:I absolutely despise Dell. Their products are shitty and never last. HP is my go-to for recommending computers, Toshiba for laptops.

I just build pcs anymore. Toshiba laptops are pretty good though.
Need something? Send me a PM here and I will get to it within 48 hours, or add me on Steam and I will get to it eventually - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025232990

Justin
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby hawkesnightmare » April 29th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Right I meant in the situation of someone just wanting a PC to either do work on or if they didn't know how to build/didn't want to put in the effort.
Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby wllmbr » May 1st, 2016, 12:29 am

Oh you sweet summer child...

I've had numerous issues with Dell laptops in the past. I used to work in an IT department for a company that used almost all Dell machines. Dell support was the fucking worse for us, most times we had to guess the problem and if it wasn't something we could easily solve we had to ship it off and not get it back for months. When I started there a bunch of Latitude laptops went back and they never came back within the three months I was working there, and this had been a common problem for years. Their stuff is vastly overpriced, they only use namebrand components at things where people are looking and will recognize it so most of the construction is pretty shitty. A lot of people here at the U of M that I know that have Dell machines complain about them not working right half the time (and believe me, I can tell the difference between the user being stupid and a shit machine).

Alienware is signficantly overpriced and stupidly put together. What fucking fruitcake pairs a Core i7 6700k with a GTX 760 and calls it a gaming rig? Can it game? Yeah but its the same thing as taking an engine from a Jag or Lambo, shoving it into a Mustang and calling it a great sunday driving car while selling it for only slightly less than the Lambo. Its overkill, expensive, and from an engineering perspective its a classic example of being told to make something that is marketable, not the most efficient usage of hardware. Just.... fucking hell I hate companies that do that excessively. Apple is by far the worse though....

I don't hear anywhere near the amount of complaints about machines when they're HP compared to Dell but still, look at rant about design considerations and HP just pisses me off because of it.

Toshiba?.... lol more like Tocheapa. A twig takes more effort to break.

But at the end of the day, very few people are ever going to want to spend the massive amount of effort it does actually take to research the parts, put everything together, and get the software working. And I can't fault companies like Dell, HP, Apple, and the others for marking up everything because after all they are a business. I myself use a Lenovo laptop and I really do love it. Its a great rig that for a gaming computer it is build rather funny (Core i7 with a GT 750M I mean come on) but I bought this knowing that I would be doing a lot of data processing and I needed a high power computer to do that. For comparison, my machine at times will run circles around the College of Science and Engineering's computer lab workstations. But again, it all comes down to what you need and how much you're willing to spend.
Just remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down - Adam Savage
wllmbr

Postby Clone » May 1st, 2016, 6:22 am

omg Toshiba hahah. The worst support on the market for both the tech and client. Hell they don't even test their hardware before shipping resulting in a model (ALL OF THEM ON THE MARKET) having non-functioning wireless network card. I've had to deal with them a lot when doing customer support and I never want to have to. It was so bad one of them even hang on me while I was explaining the problem.

Clone
Server Admin
Server Admin

Postby hawkesnightmare » May 1st, 2016, 11:31 am

Ah, forgot about Lenovo.
hawkesnightmare
Skiver
Skiver

Postby TRUTECH » May 1st, 2016, 1:45 pm

Personally, my dell 3531 laptop has survived for 2.5 years and through reset, restore and refresh. It is fairly decent but I can't really talk in this aspect as I have never had a different personal laptop (first one) it was loaded with "dell shop" "my dell" and other crap like that.

I am the family's fix it guy and I absolutely hate it when I see a bunch of crapware on the laptops.
Beware my awkwardness! I am the thread killer.
TRUTECH

Postby Reives » July 2nd, 2017, 1:56 pm

#resurrectoldthread

My current build is as follows.

CPU: i5 7600k overclocked to a steady 4.5 GHz
Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk Artic Edition.
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB superclocked
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB
Keyboard: Logitech Mechanical G410
Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7
Mouse pad: Mad Catz Glide 4
And last but not least Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
- Holy Shitstorm.
Reives
Skiver
Skiver

Previous

Return to Tech talk